Today I have author Natasha Desborough on the blog talking about the playlists she has created for her characters, in preparation for us to read new book, and second in the Weidos series, Weirdos Vs Bumskulls! Be sure to click on the headings of each playlist to go over to Spotify and check them out for yourself! The book itself came out on May 8th, published by Catnip Publishing, and follows on from Weirdos Vs Quimboids.
When I was teenager, I’d make playlists (or compilation tapes as we called them back then) for just about everything: for car journeys, getting ready to go out with friends, shopping trips, TV programmes and to accompany my favourite books. I made compilation tapes for The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, The Outsiders, The Sweet Valley High series, Little House on the Prairie and most of Jackie Collins books. Then I’d listen to the tapes on my super cool ‘auto-reverse Sony Walkman’ over and over whilst I read the book.
So it was inevitable that as soon as I began writing Weirdos vs Quimboids, I was compelled to compile its soundtrack. Songs I thought each of the characters would be listening to or complimented their personalities, songs that were appropriate for a particular scene and songs that just simply fitted the tone and tempo of the book. By the time I sat down to begin writing the follow up book Weirdos vs Bumskulls I’d already worked out most of the character playlists that I’d be using. The playlists are formed of tracks from the past and from the present. Some of them you will already know and a lot of them you probably won’t. But every single song was crucial in the writing of the book.
Blossom Uxley-Michaels (AKA BUMface) is a proper Weirdo. What she’d like is to go to loads of parties, have a proper real-time hot boyfriend (e.g. Felix Winters) and to achieve worldwide musical success with her band Camel Toe. Sadly she is more likely to end up riding a motorbike with pieces of processed ham stuck to her norks.
- Frank Popp Ensemble – Hip Teens Don’t Wear Blue Jeans
- The Orb – Little Fluffy Clouds
- Chuck Berry – Johnny B Goode
- The Horrors – So Know You Know
- Madonna – Beautiful Stranger
- The Bangles – Walking Down Your Street
- The Gaslight Anthem – Songs For Teenager
- Robbie Williams – Difficult For Weirdos
- Beck – Blue Moon
- Lily Allen – The Fear
- The Cult – Rain
- The Dandy Warhols – Bohemian Like You
- The Vaccines – Teenage Icon
Petrina-Ola Olsen is Blossom’s best friend and bandmate. She is highly intelligent (probably the next prime minister), wears thick tights and cardigans zipped up to the neck even in summer time and has a crippling fear of otters.
- Haim – If I Could Change Your Mind
- Sugarbabes – Freak Like Me
- Lorde – Royal
- Kate Bush – Hammer Horror
- The Breeders – Cannonball
- Warpaint – Love Is To Die
- Chvrches – The Mother We Share
- Alanis Morrisette – You Oughta Know
- AlunaGeorge – Attracting Flies
- All Saints – Black Coffee
- Bananarama – Cruel Summer
- Garbage – I’m Only Happy When It Rains
- Bjork – Big Time Sensuality
Walter Ecclestone is Blossom and Petrina’s co-best friend and fellow Weirdo. He hides behind his fringe and roars when experiencing emotion.
- The Killers – Mr Brightside
- Puddle Of Mudd – She Hates Me
- Losers – Azan
- Foo Fighters – What If I Do?
- 30 Seconds To Mars – Closer To The Edge
- Mansun – Wide Open Space
- The XX – Crystalised
- Ben Folds – Landed
- You Me At Six – Fresh Start Fever
- Radiohead – Paranoid Android
- Queens Of The Stone Age – I sat By The Ocean
- Chris Isaak – Wicked Game
- Soulwax – Much Against Everyone’s Advice
Matthew Ludlow is the class clown, the class drunk and the host of Bridge Mount Secondary School’s best house parties. He’s also a great friend to Blossom, although their blind date ended unsuccessfully, with him running through a park with her in a fireman’s lift.
- Paloma Faith – Stone Cold Sober
- Beastie Boys – Fight For Your Right
- Pharrell Williams – Happy
- Ben Folds Five – Steven’s Last Night In Town
- Jake Bugg – Two Fingers
- Tears For Fears – The Hurting
- Green Day – Basket Case
- Billy Idol – Dancing With Myself
- Crowded House – Pineapple Head
- Cypress Hill – Insane In The Brain
- Beach Boys – Til I Die
- The Cure Boys – Don’t Cry
- The Black Keys – Lonely Boy
- McFly – Obviously
Fiona Tittledown and Lucy Perkins are Slangers and Quimboids of the highest order. When they aren’t making the Weirdos’ lives a misery, they can usually be found flaunting their giant norks or watching reality TV.
- Meredith Brooks – Bitch
- Kim Wilde – Kids In America
- Shakespeare’s Sister – Stay
- One Direction – Best Song Ever
- Hole – Celebrity Skin
- Janelle Monae feat Queen Latifa QUEEN
- Duran Duran – Girls On Film
- Davis Bowie – Fashion
- Kylie – Better The Devil You Know
- Katy Perry – Dark Horse
- Suede – Beautiful Ones
- Supergrass – In It for The Money
- Echobelly – Dark Therapy